Friday, November 2, 2018

30 Days of Gratitude: Day 1 πŸ‚


November is here. . . How do we feel about that? 

As a lover of all things festive and 'holiday', it's music to my ears. This is so completely my favourite time of year. Here in Canada, the beautiful month of October starts out with loved ones gathered, giving thanks together, November offers a little more rest and a time of remembrance and then December comes boldly, bringing us all that beautiful, snowy magic (or, in our case here on the West Coast...all that rainy, wet, foggy magic...but somehow it's still so good!) 

Yes, Fall is in full swing and I am loving every minute! The leaves, the pumpkins, the crisp air, the return to routine, the festive lattes at Starbucks...I could go on!

But what I'm here to tell you is that today, in honor of the first day of November (and to keep myself busy until December gets here!!) I started a journalling project: to write about gratitude for 30 days.  

The start of November feels like the perfect time to slow down, reflect and be thankful. The Christmas season is just weeks away-- a time when many of us are shopping and buying and gathering and getting, and it will be refreshing to step into that season with a heart full and brimming over with gratitude.

Now, there are so many things that I am thankful for -- definitely more than 30 -- but how often do I really stop to express that gratitude? To get specific? To really say...thank You?

I think it's important, if even just to ourselves, to really identify the goodness in our lives. So often, in adult life, we focus on the "need-to's", the "should-be's" and far too often...the "what-if's"... but what if we spent more time filling up the "things I'm thankful for..." list? Perhaps we might come out on the other side feeling filled-up, valued, grateful...wealthy, even. Perhaps we might realize we have exactly what we need, right here where we are

So...Day 1.

If you know me, you know it would be true my nature to start listing everything I am thankful for, right here on this little list (list-lovers, unite!) -- but I will stick to the task and list one a day.

Today I am thankful for: the changing seasons.

I say it dozens of times from September to December (I've even already said it, above) but this is just my very favourite time of year. From Fall to Christmas it sure feels to me like life just can't get any better -- but then... as December wraps up and we prepare to welcome a brand new year...full of possibility and choice and the beauty of a blank slate... my heart starts to look toward Spring with it's fresh flowers and picnics in the park.  --- The same thing happens as Summer rolls around and I dream of warmer days and campfires at the beach. And then...you turn around, and you are looking forward to Fall and Winter again...

It's almost like there is Someone out there who knows just what we need...just when we need it.

When summer starts to feel hot and we crave cooler, crisper days, there is Fall, waiting with cozy, open arms -- and the cycle continues.

And while I may be just a teensy bit more thankful for Fall and Winter than all the other seasons...(wink, wink)...I am so thankful that the Lord knows just what I need - in so many ways, and how the changing seasons reflect that so beautifully. πŸ‚ He has a great plan and it's knit into every little thing.
______

If you want to join me on this gratitude journey, I would love to hear, each day, what you are thankful for! Let's gather up all the goodness in our lives and share it with each other this month!

Happy November, friends!

Love From,

No comments:

Post a Comment